Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day one.

My journey began at 8am yesterday..or the day before....well the 28th. Here in China it's the 30th so it's semi confusing. I first stopped in Atlanta, ate the worst pizza known to man and then flew to Seattle. From the plane Seattle looked gorgeous! I wish I would have been able to go explore before catching my flight to Beijing. At the Seattle airport I met up with 11 of the other students. The flight itself was fine. It was long and cramped, but what else can you expect for an international flight.

We took a bus from the airport to our dorm. I didn't see much, but what I did see was very Americanized. As I saw Hyatt hotels, Crowne Plaza hotels, an Ikea (Yay!!!!), McDonald's and KFC.. I didn't get into my dorm room until 2am today.. which was 2pm Ohio time. I lucked out with a roommate because I was able to request a Japanese girl as a roommate. I figured this was the best option because we can use Japanese, Chinese and a little English in order to try to communicate, hopefully combining those three languages we can understand one another. In total I slept an hour and half (maybe). I woke up bright an early at 5am.

The bathrooms here are very different. Each of our dorm rooms has our own. You walk in there is the sink to the right, the toilet straight ahead and the shower to the left. What makes the bathroom different is the fact that the entire room is the shower there is no defined shower , the shower nozzle is also hand held. You have to be very careful as to not get you towel and clothes soaking wet.

This morning we went to the bank to exchange our money, since the exchange places were closed in the airport when we had arrived. It was very confusing. All of our Chinese is so bad and none of the tellers could speak English. Our first real meal in China was delicious! I don't know what any of it was called (beside the rice), but that doesn't matter too much. We also went shopping for necessities. I got 4 bottles of water (as the tap water here is highly unsafe), 2 other aloe and tea based drinks, laundry soap, hangers, toilet paper, a notebook, pen, and pencil and paid a whopping 44 RMB..which is approximately $6.60. Yup super cheap! Tonight we are going to a restaurant together without a native Chinese speaker..so this may be interesting.

I found out today that Blogspot is also apparently blocked due to the great firewall of China...however, we have found proxy sites that allow us to break through this wall. Some have also been able to log into facebook, I however have not been so lucky. I was however (and obviously) able to get into my blog. So hopefully that means I will be able to keep posting and updating my adventures!

Eventually, I will also post pictures, but I have not taken any worth while pictures yet. Sometime today I plan on taking pictures from my dorm room window, which is on the 13th floor. From my window you can get an interesting perspective of Beijing. I won't ruin it, other than to say it unlike I imagined...it's different and well I guess you'll see eventually!

I also encourage you to email me, just in case something happens and it becomes even more difficult to get onto Blogspot. My email is ah747007@ohio.edu. I hope to hear from all of you soon! I miss you guys already!!!

XOXO,
-M

2 comments:

  1. The 13th floor? That's insane since we don't have the 13th floor in the US!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you made it there safe!! Keep us updated as much as you can and I look forward to hearing about your adventures through here. Be safe and have fun!! I Miss youuuu

    ReplyDelete